Dog and Cat

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Which is better and more efficient, 80 gph pump w/DIY filter or a sponge filter?

I know pumps over 80 gph are better but I am trying to use what I have for a DIY filter. Speaking of mechanical filters, which is more efficient at filtering: a sponge filter or an 80 gph pump with DIY filter?



**Note** This is for my 60 gallon tank and a 40 gallon tank. The filters above are not the only filtration I have for the tank. I am just wondering which is more efficient at mechanical filtering. I have about 10-15 fish in the 60 gallon tank and a flowerhorn in the 40 gallon tank.
GPH is meaningless without knowing what kind of filter. Canisters and sponge filters work off of a much lower flow rate than hanging style filters, for instance.



And of course, DIY can be anything, so unless you went on to explain exactly how you were going to make this filter, the question as to which would be more efficient would be impossible to answer.



One thing I can tell you is that sponge filters with a good air pump attached are very, very efficient and do a fantastic job at both mechanical and biological filtration, and you will be hard placed to do better with DIY.
For mechanical filtration and DIY filter is better because you can use more fine materials. Sponge filters let a lot of debris go through. If you are making a canister filter put cloth on the bottom layer for better mechanical filtration.
I can

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cat and Dog