Dog and Cat

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How can i keep my 2 adult cats happy in one room?

I'm moving into a 4 bedroom house this weekend, and I'm renting one room to myself. The room mates are fine with me bringing my cats, but only if they're kept in my room at all times, because one of the guys has a bad cat allergy. My 2 cats are well behaved and trained, i have no problem keeping all their food, litterbox, toys etc. in my room (i'm used to it.) But I'm afraid they're going to become depressed, moving from my parents house (moderate sized 3 bedroom house) into a decent sized bedroom. I can't leave my cats behind, they're my companions and i care about them so much. This living arrangement is only for the next 9 months until the lease is up and i have more money, then I'd find my own one bedroom apartment where my cats will have more room. I just want to know how I can keep my 2 babies happy just living in my bedroom all the time. If anybody can relate or has had a similar experience, I'd appreciate your help!



Well, I'm sure people that live in tiny NYC studios have cats and they're happy. So in your case, I don't think it should be a problem living in a bedroom, especially since it's only temporary. I suggest getting them a big cat tree so they have their "own" space, and give them lots and lots of love and attention ~ but I'm sure you do that already :)




I would do what you think would make your cats happier. If they are very attached to you I would take them with you. If you think they'd be better staying with your parents until better living arrangements then do that. It's also very stressful for animals moving around a lot. If they normally follow you around and sleep with you at night definitely take them. Otherwise leave them with your parents for now and visit often with kitty treats and toys. Don't forget it's only 9 months, pick what's less stressful for them.




If the cats are already cool with each other and well trained, then it shouldn't be a problem. Does your bedroom have a window? If it does, you might see about rigging up a "window cage" where they could sit when the weather's nice. It will keep them from feeling quite so cooped up.





The main thing is for you to still play with them so they don't feel abandoned and lonely. And check your shoes carefully the first week or so...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cat and Dog