Dog and Cat

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Will my kitten always upset my Boxer?

We adopted a kitten a week ago. My 3 year old boxer doesn%26#039;t like him too much. Today he went into the kittens room (my daughter%26#039;s room) and lifted his leg on the cat box, in the middle of the floor and by the door entrance. After 40 minutes of cleaning up his mess he did it again! I turned my back for a second (I know, I should have shut the door) and he went in and lifted his leg on the cat toy.





How do I punish him if I don%26#039;t catch him in the act. Will this pass or is this what I have to look forward to? BTW, he is not fixed.


Thanks!



First off get him neutered...but i don%26#039;t think it will be a permanent problem,they are like kids and his routine is most likely upset and he is feeling it...Just give him extra love and affection and slowly he and the kitten will adjust to each other,as long he isn%26#039;t aggressive towards the kitty i wouldn%26#039;t worry too much...i have 4 cats and a huge black lab...in my case the cats had to adjust to the dog moving in and my one cat peed in the dogs bed...lol...but they are fine now.Good luck.




Male dogs will mark with urine to mark their territory. So he smells the kitten%26#039;s urine and he marks over the top. It really has nothing to do with the kitten, it%26#039;s more about marking territory.





My advice is to find a permanent home for the cat box where he can%26#039;t get near it to mark it. Some dogs will eat cat feces too, so it%26#039;s another reason to find another location he can%26#039;t get to. Maybe putting up a baby gate or placing the box in a high place the cat can reach but he can%26#039;t will do the trick.





Neutering definitely can reduce the desire for territorial marking but may not 100% eliminate it.




First, you should not have brought a new animal into the home without considering how your dog would react to it. Boxers will either get along with and like cats, or they will not. There will be no in-between, ever.





Every naughty behavior that your dog is exhibiting is YOUR FAULT.


He is marking his territory. The kitten is not welcome. It is HIS house, and it%26#039;s not your dog%26#039;s fault. Punishing him after the fact is WRONG and CRUEL,


I have a boxer, and he thinks cats are great chew toys.





Get him neutered, and find another home for the cat.




Getting him fixed may help with the peeing problem, then again it may not. You should always introduce the new animal before buying or bringing it home just for this reason, if it doesnt work out what happens to the less desired animal?




leave him outside for a while.




It just takes time for them to figure out if they like each other or not. I would say several months at least.





As for the dog marking his territory, that is what he%26#039;s doing. You can get him fixed, it might help out...It might not. I would consult a vet if you wanted to.





Squirt him with water and say %26quot;NO!%26quot;. Remove him and shut the door. If you see him by the cat%26#039;s things and he doesn%26#039;t pee on it give him a reward and praise him. Do that every time he is being good. He will figure out if he doesn%26#039;t pee on stuff he gets a reward.





It will all just take time, hang in there.


%0D%0A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cat and Dog