Dog and Cat

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My 1 year old cat is being aggressive towards my new 8 week old kitten?

My friend gave my fiance & me this really cute 8 week year old grey tabby kitten yesterday; we're really happy & she's very playful and healthy. The only problem we've had is that our 1 year old female cat is being really aggressive towards her. She hisses & growls whenever she sees her & has even tried to take a swipe at her a few times. The little kitten wants to play with her but our older cat just won't have it. My older cat has never been like this towards our other male cat who is 2 years old (he gets along fine with the kitten). How can we get my older cat to accept the new kitten & get along? Thank you.





They are both female by the way, & the older one is spayed and has never had kittens.



They will eventually get along. TRUST me, I had 4 cats at one time :).





The one year old kitty is just trying to let the younger kitten knows who's boss. It's a territory thing.





What I did was keep the youngest kitty in a seperate room. My other cats would growl at me when I left the room because I smelt of the new kitten. Soon enough the oldest cat got used to the scent on me. And every so often I would allow him near the smallest. Soon enough they will be playing. It takes time.





Also, try to give the oldest cat the same amount of attention as you did before the kitten arrived. The cat may be afriad that you will pay more attention to the new-comer.




Your cat probably sees it as an invasion of territory. It was just her and the other cat before. Now she feels like the kitten is intruding. She is probably also asserting dominance over the kitten.





You could try giving your cat more attention. She might feel that you no longer belong to her. Once your kitten grows older the older cat might get along with her more. Give her time and perhaps they'll warm to each other.




Use a baby gate to keep them apart. Let them hiss and swipe through the holes in the gate (with your supervision) and hopefully then they can get used to each other. Since they are both so young, they can grow up living together, which will make them more comfortable. After a while of that, try different ways of showing that they are both nice, like having one on your lap and the other watching. This could all take around 2 years, but soon they should be fine.




My older cat did the same thing when i brought in a new kitten. Its a new animal on your cats territory, they have to get used to each other. Its better to introduce them slowly instead of just shoving them together instantly




i found myself in that same situation, i bought a 6wk old cat into a household with 2 adult cats, 1 male 1 female. i kept 3 of them apart wen i was not around,but i would normally hold the adult cat down and bring the baby over to lick them,,that was the meeting point,,i did that for a few days..then allowed them to meet briefly whilei was present, the male cat got used to her quite quickly,,,he even taught her to clean herself, butthe female adult( the queen of the house) was subborn,,she`s never had kittens b4 and wasnt having any of it..but after time,,i guess she got used to the kittens smell, and usd to her running around,,,just giv them some time...ur kitten will soon be running around behind them...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cat and Dog